Posted on

If you are building a radio controlled car, you will be faced with choices every step of the way. You will have to decide how to build the model, how to incorporate the radio transmitter, and how you want to paint it. You will also have to decide how you want to power your car. There are several different choices, and unfortunately there isn’t one that stands out as better than the rest. Each powering method has its own benefits and tradeoffs that may affect your decision. You will have to consider these benefits compared with what exactly you want to do with your car. Here are the three main ways that you can power a radio controlled car.

Keep water out of your fuel. A water separator filter is design to do this job and will if you keep it clean. Depending on how often you operate the boat, you should check separator filter once every month or so. While we are on fuel, make sure the fuel you use meets the manufacturers recommendations. Ethanol additives over ten percent are not generally allowed. Higher ethanol levels can cause a lot of expensive damage to your outboard.

What about maintenance costs? In a word – “very low” compared to a gasoline car. A petrol/diesel engine and its associated components require frequent maintenance like oil changing, lubricant changing etc etc. An Gear Motor is free of such frequent maintenances. But battery life is something that will cost you money in an EV. If your EV uses an old battery technology like lead-acid then you may expect a battery pack replacement per 20,000 miles. The cost will be around $800+ but it may vary with time. Still it costs you only 5.5 cents per mile.

After you’ve finished mounting the motor you can now install all of the batteries. If you’ve got a big enough hood you should be able to fit them all under the hood, but if you can’t fit them then you’re going to have to put a couple in the trunk.

Electric bicycles come with very small motors. They have to be small because they are supposed to be light and portable. But is the power enough to provide a nice comfortable and functional ride? Will the motor overheat while you are riding? Don’t try to save money and invest in low quality motors. They will just overheat when you try to get more out of the motors – like when you are climbing up a steep slope.

From Currie Technologies, the iZIP is one of the more popular electric hybrid bikes. In one battery charge, it can travel up to 23-30 miles depending on the cycler’s weight. Top speed on this 8-gear street bike can be up to 18 mph. As you can see from the pictures, the motor and battery pack are cleverly integrated within the bike’s frame. So unlike most electric bicycles, these components are not visually obtusive. The geared hub motor is a brushless DC type encased in an alloy shell. The battery pack is made of NiMH EV Rated Batteries Down Tube Concealed 24V / 9AH Pack (20) 1.2V Rechargeable Cells. There are men’s and women’s versions of the iZIP bike.

About 40 percent of China’s expenditure on research and development in 2001 was covered by the government and the rest 60 percent came from private enterprises. While U.S. spending on all R&D leads the nation in total dollars, the amount of dollars coming from government has fallen over the years, primarily due to a cutback in defense and space-related R&D about 10 years ago. The U.S. government funds about 30 percent of all R&D funding in this country, generally spending an amount equivalent to 2.5-2.7 percent of GDP on research. This level of GDP spending puts America about in the middle of the pack worldwide in terms of R&D spending as a ratio of GDP.

Of course, high quality electric bikes don’t come cheap. The research and engineering that goes into developing the machine can add up to quite a bit. So expect to pay more for a durable machine.